What a dish! Luxurious and creamy! A kick of anise from the roasted fennel. The sweet nuttiness of the toasted coconut. The slow heat of coriander and chilies. The char on the grilled, spiced, cauliflower. Incredible.
Enjoy this completely vegan dish with its bold flavours and delicate balance of textures! I assure you, you will be making this everyday.
Cauliflower KormaCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: IndianDifficulty: EZ
2 small cauliflowers
2 small yellow onions
6 garlic cloves
1 inch knob of ginger
2 tsp oil
1/4 cup oat or almond milk
20 cashew nuts (around 35g)
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Whole Spice Roast
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4 hot dried red chilies (arbol chilies work too) (USE LESS IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPICY FOOD)
2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- Cauliflower Spice Mix
1 tbsp kosher salt (please don't table salt for cooking, it's trash. Get you hands on good kosher or sea salt. If you use table salt, use way less because it's super salty)
2 tsp oil
1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder (less if using non-kashmiri)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp aamchur
10-12 Cashew Nuts
1 tsp Butter
- Steam both cauliflowers keeping them whole if possible. Stop once it becomes fork tender.
- Dry roast everything under "Whole Spice Roast" without the coconut on medium heat.
- Add the grated coconut to the dry roast after 5 minutes. Toast everything for another 5 minutes. Grind it up.
- Soak the 20 cashew nuts in boiling water.
- Remove the steaming cauliflower from the heat and let it cool down completely.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, coat with the "Cauliflower Spice Mix". Space it out evenly and pop it in the oven for around 15-20 minutes until it gets charred a little bit.
- Sauté roughly chopped onions, ginger, and garlic. Season. Let it caramelize for 15 minutes.
- Purée the sautéed stuff with the soaking cashew nuts.
- Get the purée back in the pan and add oat milk and the ground up masalas. Stir properly without any chunks.
- Season with salt and add lemon juice.
- Roast the cashews for the garnish with a teaspoon of butter and get it nice and browned.
- Serve by adding the roasted cauliflower onto a bed of the korma gravy. Top with chopped coriander and roasted cashew nuts. Serve!